Planning for Student Teacher Responsibility
The potential for success within the field experience can be increased if a plan is in place for the student teaching experience. Frequently, the teacher preparation programs provide information regarding classroom instructional responsibilities over the field experience time period. Assuming full teaching responsibilities should be a gradual process.
- Observe and listen: time to explain and demonstrate.
- Collaborate: collaborate on planning and implementing a teaching or nonteaching task one new responsibility at a time.
- Designate gradually: quality over quantity, allowing student teacher to master each skill with competency and confidence before next task is added.
- Delegate all: after the midpoint, increase responsibilities to teacher preparation program requirements.
- Reduce: conclude the field experience with a transitory time where the student teacher’s responsibilities are reduced and the cooperating teacher’s increased.
Henry, M A, and A Weber. 2016. Evaluating a Student Teacher. Book 3 of Student Teaching: The Cooperating Teacher Series. Lanham, Md: Rowman and Littlefield.